Wednesday, July 6, 2011

And here we are.

Here goes.

The craziness of the wedding, honeymoon, and move have settled, and I find myself two weeks into living in Durham. The jury is still out on how I feel about this move. Durham is so far a great place, with lots of restaurants and activities to keep one busy, and I've met extremely nice people (mostly residents and their spouses). However, since Hubs started work last Friday night - 7:30 p.m. to 9 a.m. for the past 4 days - I've realized that I'm going to be spending a lot of time alone. A lot.

I am not, nor have I ever been, particularly domestic. My list of things to do today includes cleaning, laundry, organizing my new closet room (a highlight!), and filling out paperwork for my new job. So what am I doing? Creating a blog. Smooth, kvh.

At this point - 1 1/2 weeks into housewifery - I just want to get back to work. I will be teaching third grade at a new arts-based magnet elementary school in Durham. Last week, we had a fantastic training at Duke's art museum. Coming from my school in New Orleans, I'm very familiar with arts integration and am so excited to be continuing that trajectory. I left the three-hour training having met many of my future colleagues, and I could not be more impressed. I definitely got a teacher high being surrounded by people I can tell are smart and passionate. I feel so fortunate to have such great prospects in my working life.

For now, though, I will just have to bide my time, suck it up, and do the housewife thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment